Submitted by Sue Choi

sue choi is originally from south korea; she is a software engineer at a large, multinational information technology company. she also classifies herself as a daughter, sister, aunt, friend, thinker, dreamer, and explorer of life.

Here are Sue's "Five Rules For Life":

1.) Enjoy the simple pleasures of life.
The pleasures of life do not necessarily come from the big moments. Rather, they can be found in every day life if we stop and take a moment to enjoy them. Some of the things I enjoy are:
- a warm shower (or bubble bath)
- a cup of freshly brewed morning coffee
- a delicate melody in music
- a beautiful line in a poem
- a conversation with friends
- cuddling up with a good book by the fireplace.



2.) Appreciate the things you have rather than focusing on the things you don’t have.
Very often our attention is given to the things we do not have rather than appreciating and enjoying what we do have, and we become unhappy as a result. Some of the things I appreciate are:
- good health
- great friends
- a loving family (although somewhat dysfunctional)
- financial security (I have a job and home, I don’t go hungry, and I can go on a weekend trip if I want to).

My life is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I am grateful for all the things I have. I just need to remember this when I am down!

3.) Find passion and nourish it.
So far I have not identified what my true life passion is - there are some things I enjoy more than others, such as books, photography, coffee, music, and poetry. But passion can change over the course of a life time. Regardless of its changing nature, living life with passion is a great thing; it gives a sense of purpose.

4.) Strive to be at your best.
I can’t change who I am. However, I can strive to be at my best through self-introspection and learning. I am a big advocate of self-improvement...I love learning new things and embrace new life experiences.

5.) Love.
Love, I believe, is the light that guides us through our life. Love starts with loving oneself. It took over 30 years of my life to truly accept myself and love myself as the person I am. Now I can spread that love to those that are close to me and also to strangers. Love makes impossible things possible.

Sue currently resides in Charlotte, North Carolina.

______________________________