Submitted by Rebecca Tall

rebecca tall is a big sister, a daughter to her hero, a wife-to-be, and a marketing consultant. she's learning to grow up into a happy, well-adjusted adult.

Here are Rebecca's "Five Rules For Life":

1) There's always someone worse off.
My Grandpa was raised during the depression by an alcoholic (his Dad) and an enabler (his Mom). He says that the first of his 8 siblings to get up each morning would have the best pick of clothes and would get one of three pairs of shoes. He dropped out of school in the 8th grade, joined the Navy, and saw the world. He vividly remembers seeing orphans and nuns in Italian ghettos scouring for food. Grandpa is 87 today and no matter what the situation he reminds me that there is always someone worse off and we should always count our blessings.

2) There's always someone better off.
The flip side of the coin is no matter how good you are at something, there's probably someone better. They can humble and motivate you to be your best. Remember that you are the only one who can be you in all your glory and faults - revel in this. And remember it if you beat yourself up for not meeting your own expectations.

3) What you do every day is more important than what you do once in a while.
This goes for exercise, manners, the dentist and doctor, visiting the elderly, and tipping waitstaff - as well as a host of other things.

4) Try your best.
No one can ask more of you. You will never have regrets nor will you ever have to answer to anyone. "I tried my best" is a very, very powerful statement.

5) Right before you reach your goal, set a new one - you'll always be working forward.
My Dad gave me this advice and it's right as rain. You will also avoid "goal hangover" - once you've achieved one goal, having nothing to look forward to next. I started my consulting practice my last semester as an undergraduate and am planning my wedding after I finish graduate school. After that I have a trip to Europe on the horizon...all within a 12-month time frame.



Rebecca currently resides in [sunny] San Diego, California.

______________________________